This engine was first started at the Centennial Exposition by President Ulysses S. Grant and the Emperor Dom Pedro of Brazil. It powered 13 acres of equipment in the Machinery Hall through more than a mile of shafting.
After six months of service at the Centennial Exposition the engine was shipped back to the Corliss factory in Providence. Seven years later the Corliss Centennial engine was sold to the George Pullman company in Chicago and ran their factory until 1910.
The Corliss Centennial engine at the George Pullman company in Chicago.
Photo courtesy of the Pullman State Historic Site, Collection of Frank H. Beberdick.