This William A. Harris engine has a 16″ bore and 30″ stroke. It has a Tangye bed and Brown valve gear. This engine was first installed in a shoe factory in Brockton, MA in 1911. During the depression of the 1930s it was sold to the National Laundry in Dorchester, Massachusetts. The engine was re-erected in their plant for a total cost of $750, including the cost of installing the boiler. It was used to generate electricity and the exhaust steam was used in the laundry process.
The National Laundry Company donated the engine to the museum by the in 1969. It was moved to the museum by Vic Richardson, Robert and Paul Merriam and restored by Donald Langlais and Tony Assumpico.